With March approaching Women’s History Month will be fast upon us. In the spirit that started Feminist Activism this time last year I would like to celebrate, remember, and honor Women’s History Month again in 2012. This time though, I need your help.
I would be delighted to share women’s stories from around the world and I think interviews would be the best format for this… unless you want to tell your own story of history.
I am particularly interested in older women’s stories and their perceptions of how women’s roles have changed in their societies. Grandmothers, great-aunts or old lady neighbors come to mind. If you choose to interview someone please include her date and place of birth, her ethnic background, and any other relevant or interesting personal information she is comfortable sharing with the world wide web. If the interviewee does not want her name published that is fine. Submissions in any language are welcome but I also need them in English.
Feel free to ask whatever you like! Some sample questions could include:
- Who did you admire when you were young? Who do you admire now?
- What was it like for you growing up? What was happening historically in your country, your region and around the world when you were growing up?
- What was expected of women when and where you were growing up? Did you fulfill these expectations? If so, how? If not, what were the consequences?
- What topics of conversation were taboo when you were young?
- If you have/had brothers, were you treated differently as children/young adults? How?
- Did you have a choice in the life you started as an adult? If so, why did you choose the life you did? If not, what choices would you have made for yourself?
- Have you ever been married? Why or why not?
- What do you think of marriage?
- What would you like to say about sex?
- Have you ever had an abortion? How do you feel about abortion?
- How has religion/education/language/ability/ethnicity/race/gender/location/politics shaped your life?
- Have you ever experienced sexual or violent abuse?
- What historical events have shaped your life?
- Did you do anything rebellious or “unladylike” when you were young?
- What do you think about masculinity/femininity and gender roles?
- How do you feel about same-sex marriage?
- How have your political views changed with age?
- How have your views on beauty changed over your lifetime?
- Do you have any regrets?
- How are expectations and roles for women different in your country now than they were when you were young?
- What advice would you give to young women today?
- What are your thoughts on women’s rights and/or feminism?
- What advice would you give to young women who want to change the world?
Remember, all submissions are welcome but the deadline is March 1st.