Freedom of speech?
How about freedom of the streets?
You’re free to get your dick sucked
So how am I not free to breathe?
All your “Hey babys!” are leaving me weak in the knees.
But it’s not in a good way
It’s not how you want
Because cat calls in general
Just feel like taunts
When you yell from your car
Or whistle in the street
What you’re really saying is:
“This place is for me.”
Women and girls treated like property
And your attitude towards us leaves our souls in poverty.
Everyday we face you
Everyday we hate you
Everyday we wish
We wish we could erase you!
Ok maybe not you, that’s taking it too far
But your ideas and your sexism spewed from afar.
Do you get it now, how unsafe we feel?
Street harassment is hate and your hatred is real.
So what can you do, how can you help?
Tell your boys how it felt
To know that your words
About sexy and hot
Make us feel like victims
When that’s something we’re not.
In more ways than one
So stop street harassment
‘Cause this shit ain’t fun.
- Stop street harassment with your cell phone? The latest City 2.0 award winner shows how (ted.com)
- How Egyptians are fighting harassment in the streets (guardian.co.uk)
- Harassment shackles women (thehindu.com)
- Vigilantes In Egypt Are Capturing And Spray Painting Sexual Harassers In The Streets (thegloss.com)
- [link] The Daily Mail claims that “we” secretly love street harassment (feimineach.com)